Windows 7 and GameGuard

Discuss anything MapleStory-related that doesn't fit into any other categories here.
Toff
Administrator
Administrator
Main character: Toffxkun
Job: Magician

Windows 7 and GameGuard

Post by Toff »

Just a warning to all those people who decide to go with the Windows 7 hype and install current public beta. GameGuard is currently incompatible with it, and nProtect say they're not planning to support it until it's released. Same for another anti-hack protection system called X-Trap.
So remember you won't be able to play MapleStory and all the other games that use GameGuard or X-Trap if you install Windows 7 now.
If our children today don't have any dreams, we creators are guilty for not giving them dreams. We are culpable. We must create a dream to leave behind for the sake of our children.
-Hideo Kojima-
-----------------
A salvation is not to be given, it rises from deep inside us.
-Soraya Saga-
iRikeRice
Nephilim
Nephilim
Main character: iRikeRice

Re: Windows 7 and GameGuard

Post by iRikeRice »

Thanks for the heads up, Toff. I was thinking about trying out Windows 7, but I guess I can't now, eh?
iAmTubbie
Archangel
Archangel
Main character: iAmTubbie

Post by iAmTubbie »

WAIT whats windows 7 is that like a new vista kinda thing >: O
Toff
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Toff »

iRikeRice wrote:Thanks for the heads up, Toff. I was thinking about trying out Windows 7, but I guess I can't now, eh?
Well, you can install it on another partition and try it as the second OS. But making it your main OS is not a good idea if you wanna keep playing MMOs... At least not right now. I heard WoW is unaffected though, I don't know what kind of protection it uses.
iAmTubbie wrote:WAIT whats windows 7 is that like a new vista kinda thing >: O
Yup, the next Windows. But it's currently in beta. Supposedly it will be released around summer-autumn this year, but there's no official date yet.
If our children today don't have any dreams, we creators are guilty for not giving them dreams. We are culpable. We must create a dream to leave behind for the sake of our children.
-Hideo Kojima-
-----------------
-Soraya Saga-
iAmTubbie
Archangel
Archangel
Main character: iAmTubbie

Post by iAmTubbie »

OHHHH i seeee hmm i dont think ima get it caz my vista is new maybe in a year or two il change lol but thnx tofffy for the update!
OddMike
Archangel
Archangel
Main character: OddHermit

Post by OddMike »

Ewww Vista.... How is it? better than vista?
Too lazy too make mine right now. Maybe when i hit lvl 70! Toff I love you btw :3
http://maple-records.com/signatures/sig ... 91b276.png
Toff
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Toff »

It has better caching of everything so things start up faster. And it's only beta which is aimed for stability and not for speed. So it'll be really fast by the time of release. It has a bit of extra animation, redesigned taskbar. Most of the drivers and applications work great in Vista-compatibility mode. Oh, and it has a nice animated boot-screen. What I didn't like is that they're making things bigger. Like, close button on gadgets is twice bigger than in Vista. They're probably aiming for high resolutions. They always did though. XP after Windows ME looked way too oversized. But overall, yes, it's better than Vista.

-Hideo Kojima-
-----------------
-Soraya Saga-
Sinfulrook
Main character: Sinfulrook

Post by Sinfulrook »

I lol'ed at that comic...
OddMike
Archangel
Archangel
Main character: OddHermit

Post by OddMike »

I did too. Sounds cool. I'm not sure if i'll upgrade from XP when i get my new RAM...if ever (my mom said i could but hasn't gotten back to me yet x_x). We'll see if Microsoft messes up later past beta xD
Too lazy too make mine right now. Maybe when i hit lvl 70! Toff I love you btw :3
http://maple-records.com/signatures/sig ... 91b276.png
DARKS1M
Archangel
Archangel
Main character: DARKS1M

Post by DARKS1M »

Speed = good. *o* Maybe I should try the beta on my old hdd. Is there still those "are you sure you want to do this blah blah etc." windows that pop up eveyrwhere?